Vittoriano Vigano, "Tripolina" Chair, circa 1936, Libya
Vittoriano Vigano (1919-1996), "Tripolina" chair,
Folding metal and wood base,
Reupholstered white leather with diamond pattern,
circa 1936, Tripoli, Libya.
Measures : Width 68 cm, depth 84 cm, height 104 cm.
Vittoriano Viganò was born in 1919 in Milan, bathed from his youth in Art thanks to his father, Vico Viganò, who was a painter and engraver, he studied and graduated in 1944 at the Polytechnic of Milan in Architecture. He is one of the most famous designers of the post-war movement, the "brutalist" movement. He has worked on many different projects: as an architect, interior designer and landscape architect. He worked as artistic director at Arteluce, the famous Italian house of Gino Sarfatti. Considered one of the best Italian designers, he received the Prize of the President of the Italian Republic for architecture.
The Tripolina is a folding chair made out of wood with metal swivel joints and animal hide. It was invented by Joseph B. Fenby and patented in the United States in 1881. The Tripolina chair was made from prior to World War II by the firm of Viganò in Tripoli, Libya, for the expatriate Italian market as a camping chair of great stability in the sand and made from local wood and camel or cow hide. The Italian firm of Viganò clearly stamped their products on the rear of the hides with their large "Paolo Viganò Tripoli" oval seal. The hide is nowadays often replaced by canvas or other materials.